When we hear about diabetes the 1st thing that comes in our mind is now we can’t eat any food. But if we think nicely there is good news that we can still eat what we want but we have to set certain timing and portion for that. You can have some health expert who can manage some portion and timings for your favorite meal in between the food you are supposed to eat is you have diabetes or is at risk of getting diabetes.
Below are some food groups that you can consider to have in your healthy meal, you have to eat a variety of such foods from all groups.
- Non-starchy: includes broccoli, carrots, greens, peppers, and tomatoes
- Starchy: includes potatoes, corn, and green peas
- Fruits include oranges, melon, berries, apples, bananas and grapes
- Grains: at least half of your grains for the day should be whole grains includes: wheat, rice, oats, cornmeal, barley, and quinoa and foods e.g.bread, pasta, cereal, and tortillas
- Protein: lean meat, chicken or turkey without the skin, fish, eggs, nuts, meat substitute such as tofu.
- Dairy (nonfat or low fat): milk or lactose-free milk if you have lactose intolerance, yogurt, cheese
Eat foods with heart-healthy fats, which mainly come from these foods:
- oils that are liquid at room temperature, such as canola and olive oil
- nuts and seeds
- heart-healthy fish such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel
Use oils when cooking food instead of butter, cream, shortening, lard, or stick margarine.
Many people are confused about when to eat if one has diabetes hence: Some people with diabetes need to eat at about the same time each day. Others can be more flexible with the timing of their meals. Depending on your diabetes medicines or type of insulin, you may need to eat the same amount of carbohydrates at the same time each day. If you take “mealtime” insulin, your eating schedule can be more flexible.
If you use certain diabetes medicines or insulin and you skip or delay a meal, your blood glucose level can drop too low. Ask your health care team when you should eat and whether you should eat before and after physical activity.